This is my Heaven on Earth...

This is my Heaven on Earth...

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sister in law's table make over :)

 Here are the BEFORE pictures of my sister in laws table & chairs.
Yes it needed some help.
This was my mother's old table and was handed down to my brother and sister in law when they got married. The table and chairs were a natural wood color.
My sis in law (Mary) decided she was bored with it one day and wanted to spruce it up by painting it black.
She didn't prime it. She didn't polyurethane it when it was complete.
So, what do you think happened to it over time?
YES! It all started chipping off...BAD!
Lesson learned for her :) Love you Mary!
 She asked me to help her re-do it and I happily said 
"HECK YEAH!" ;)
So, first things first...we sanded all the black off the top of the table...holy moly it took A LONG TIME!!! That paint did not want to sand off.
BUT...we got it..PHEW.
Here it is below down to its bare wood. The legs and other parts we left black, knowing we would paint over it and she wanted to see the black come through when we sanded it.
 To change things up a bit, she decided to do mix-matched chairs choosing a turquoise and grey color.
I DO NOT have any after pictures of the chairs {SADLY} They turned out super fun.
We sanded them to make them look old and distressed. They looked awesome.
 Here is the beast :)
We stained the top of the table with a pretty stain and when done,
we decided the turquoise was just a little too bright...
 Sooo, after sanding and distressing the legs, we rubbed some stain over the top of the turquoise to make it look even more aged and it made the funnest shade of turquoise :)
We of course sealed the table & chairs with a coat or two of polyurethane.
 What do ya think? Me likes. :)
Thanks Mary for the fun project!

1 comments:

nate and amy crandell said...

Ok this is crazy bc I was telling Nate I wanted to paint out table blue! He didn't believe me or was a cute idea, so it was nice to see this post and to show him! He says we can do it now! So CUTE!! You did such a good job!