This is my Heaven on Earth...

This is my Heaven on Earth...

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Desk Reveal

Not only do I LOVE doing hair...
I also {heart} decorating
and fixing up furniture!
I bought this desk at a yard sale for $20
Yes, you read it right...$20!! Can you believe it??
 So many opportunities, hopes and dreams...
I was ecstatic to get my hands {and sander} on this bad boy.
It needed a little TLC. I sanded all the wood until it was super smooth. I sanded out all the scratches and knicks.
The sanding takes the longest:)
Then it was time to decide what color to do. My heart kept saying {GREEN} I needed some more GREEN in my home. I {LOVE} GREEN. I didn't know what color green though.
So I bought 3 different samples of some of my favorite green swatches and tested them out. 
 This is what I chose:
Here she is!
{My flash is on in some of these pictures & off in the others so you can get the full effect}
I painted the entire desk a brown first, then did the green on top of that so that when I sanded it, you'd see the brown come thru for more of an aged look.
 I primed the top of the desk with primer then painted it an espresso brown. I sanded the desk and hutch on top to give it a more shabby chic look. Then did a coat or two of polyruethane on the entire thing. I did about 4 coats of the poly on the top of the desk where I painted it brown, knowing it would get the most wear and usage. I wanted the paint to be nice & protected.
 I am not done with the hardware for the drawers. I am going to purchase new hardware soon.
I'm in love with crystal knobs on furniture & only had one knob so I put it on to see how I like it. What do you think?

 I had fun finding and collecting things and then decorating the shelves of the Hutch:) The 3 frames, old books and crystal jar you see here are all from thrift stores! The books were $1 each. Frames: between $1 & $3 dollars a peice.
{Another thing you might not know about me: I {LOVE} thrift stores!!!;)

 My camera is not the greatest and doesn't take the best pictures in the world, the picture above is taken with the flash (which makes the green seem a little bright)
and picture down below, the flash is off.
Let me know if you'd like to come see it in person!:)
I {LOVE} the way it turned out
What do you think??
I love my old, yellow window framed corkboard on top and topiary and letter "R" I found at an antique store...another thing you might not know about me: I {LOVE} antique stores!
I'd love to hear your thoughts
& things that YOU {LOVE}! :)

3 comments:

nate and amy crandell said...

TATUM!!! I freakin LOVE it!!! So cute! It seriously looks like a 500.00 desk! Love the vintage green and the crystal knob :)

If your looking for more hardware for the bottom drawers, Hobby Lobby has way cute knobs and pulls! Just go the week they are 50% off! Or print off a 40% off coupon.

Jonny and Brittany said...

First off- your hair is adorable!!! And I do LOVE LOVE LOVE the hutch! :) You did an amazing job! We will need to go thrift store shopping together one of these days!!

Dave and Jodi said...

Um your amazing!! I lOvE it, you have inspired me! Cute cute cut btw